Tuesday, January 15, 2008

So I finished the revision of the play, God help me. The deadline was today and I finished at about 2 p.m., and ran down to the copy shop and got it copied onto three-hole punch paper, and bound it, and included a bio and a check and a cover sheet, and addressed it, and sent it off--and was assured by the postal clerk that the pastage stamp would indeed be marked January 15, which is when it had to be posted by--only to get home and realize that they also wanted me to include a synopsis (almost wrote biopsy) and a list of characters.

Fuck!

1) I hate hate hate writing synopses. Plot is my worst thing, how can I synopsize my play?

2) I forgot to include it in my packet, will they penalize me? (This is the Ashland new plays reading series.)

So I'm writing a synopsis now, and I'll email it to them and hope and pray that the contest gods will be lenient and kind and they'll allow it. After all, there is 78 pages of playscript in the package. Surely that ought to count for something.

My fingers are blocks of ice. I feel like I've done nothing for the past week but sit and type, worry about the play, procrastinate in various creative ways, and type some more. I am so relieved to have it done. And proud of myself for having actually finished. Even if it's not perfect, it's better than the first draft was. I emailed a copy to my friend Suzanne, of Mirror Stage Company, and I can't wait to hear what she thinks. Even if Ashland doesn't take it, she might. Or at least she might have an idea of what to do with it next.

No comments: