Friday, May 14, 2010

For Carla

I Think Continually Of Those Who Were Truly Great
Stephen Spender

I think continually of those who were truly great.
Who, from the womb, remembered the soul's history
Through corridors of light where the hours are suns
Endless and singing. Whose lovely ambition
Was that their lips, still touched with fire,
Should tell of the Spirit clothed from head to foot in song.
And who hoarded from the Spring branches
The desires falling across their bodies like blossoms.

What is precious is never to forget
The essential delight of the blood drawn from ageless springs
Breaking through rocks in worlds before our earth.
Never to deny its pleasure in the morning simple light
Nor its grave evening demand for love.
Never to allow gradually the traffic to smother
With noise and fog the flowering of the spirit.

Near the snow, near the sun, in the highest fields
See how these names are feted by the waving grass
And by the streamers of white cloud
And whispers of wind in the listening sky.
The names of those who in their lives fought for life
Who wore at their hearts the fire's center.
Born of the sun they traveled a short while towards the sun,
And left the vivid air signed with their honor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for posting this.

Anonymous said...

can you tell us how carla is doing today? thank you. and how are you?

Alison said...

Carla passed away last Monday, May 17th, surrounded by people who loved her and whom she loved. She got to have the best possible death she could under the circumstances. We all would have wished decades more laughter, creativity and most of all love for her, but she packed as much into the short time she was given as anyone could have.

I am: all over the map. Right now, I'm in Massachusetts with my family (this trip was previously planned.) I got to spend the weekend with my SUN family, teaching a workshop and being held by beloved close old dear friends. I miss carla already and I know this is only the tip of the iceberg of missing her--of wanting to share things with her, from a good book I am reading, to a funny conversation I overheard, to bragging about my brilliant nephews and nieces and their latest exploits. It is grief. Sometimes--often--I geel kind of numb, mot able to believe it all really happened.

TThanks for asking, and I know I haven't posted here as regularly as I have in the past. I promise I will post again later this week after I get back home.

Best,
Alison

Anonymous said...

thank you for letting us know. i am so sad about carla. she made such an imapct on all of our lifes. may she rest in everlasting peace. everlasting...

you stay well and let your grief come out in any way it needs to. i will do the same...

Christin said...

This is awesome!