Monday, March 08, 2010

Okay, not that it matters, but I am psyched that The Hurt Locker won best picture and that Kathryn Bigelow won best director, a breakthrough for women in one of the more male-dominated industries. I'm psyched because of all the movies I saw (and I didn't see every picture that was nominated) The Hurt Locker was by far the best. It had real content, it made me feel a range of emotions, some of which surprised me, it put me in the shoes and hearts and bodies of characters whose circumstances are very different from my own. It felt true on an emotional, spiritual and physical level. It brought the war home.

And of course it was technically challenging--without calling attention to itself. I didn't think, "Wow, how did she get all those explosives to go off in that way?" I was so deep inside the reality of the film I wanted to dive under the seat in front of me to avoid flying shrapnel.

And I am proud as hell that a woman pulled this off.

Of the nominated films I saw "Avatar" (beautiful visual effects but the story was...problematic,) Up in the Air, (some very nice moments, and I liked the idea of the story--I liked the structure but the plot had some holes in it that bothered me, and I didn't think it was Oscar-worthy), District 9, (this one was good, they should have a separate award for cheekiest upstart made on a shoestring, plus it was probably the most creative, well-thought-out idea with great metaphorical and political resonance.) Last and least was Inglorious Basterds, (hated it hated it hated it and Quentin Tarantino you do not have permission to use the Holocaust as a prop to jack off to your own disturbed fantasies.)

I plan to see Precious and Up! and Crazy Heart, and maybe The Blind Side as well, if not in theatres then on Netflix.

Meanwhile I got to interview a veteran, an acquaintance of Christopher's, for my play The Recruiter, and I'm up to my eyeballs in a new essay. I dreamed the other night that the third book of poems, Love Shack, got accepted for publication. Wouldn't that be great, if it only took a year or two to get it published instead of eight?

No comments: