Thursday, February 18, 2010

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Seven hours in an underground office in S.F. yesterday at a training to learn to interview other people involved in the artist-in-the-schools biz. I'm interested in this study, which will gather data from artists, principals of schools, program directors and use it to hopefully validate the contributions resident artists make, improve working conditions for us and perhaps institute a credentialing process for our profession.

I think many poets and artists in the schools are like me, somewhat anarchic spirits who have a hard time fitting in to institutions. (Of course most human beings have a hard time fitting into institutions so I don't know what makes us so special...)

I do know that while I can be very dogged in pursuing goals and staying the course, I have "spurt energy" when it comes to hard work. That is I can be very intense, learn a lot, work hard, go all out on one day--and then I can't get out of bed the next. I wish I were not like this. I admire people who can pour it on, day after day after day. But after seven hours in said basement room and then another four or so hours at Interplayce, I found that the car was driving itself back home. luckily it knows how to get there. I ate some salad at 10 p.m. with Christopher and crashed into bed, beat, winded spent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I know you are tired, but this was fun.

I always recall one of your posts about coming up from the deep ocean of sleep. You had taken a nap one afternoon.

Theresa Williams said...

Akiko Yosano wrote 17,000 tanka in her lifetime. She also had thirteen children, did translations, wrote other kinds of poems as well. I'm glad you're doing the poem a day challenge. I wrote a poem a day for a month last April and I'm still using pieces of those poems in creative work.

Theresa Williams said...

Akiko Yosano wrote 17,000 tanka in her lifetime. She also had thirteen children, did translations, wrote other kinds of poems as well. I'm glad you're doing the poem a day challenge. I wrote a poem a day for a month last April and I'm still using pieces of those poems in creative work.